10 SPOOKY PEST FACTS
Happy Halloween from your Nova Pest Control family!
We hope you’re enjoying the fall festivities and spending time with family! To celebrate the holiday, we thought we’d give you a list of some SPOOKY pest facts that will make your skin crawl!
All pests are…”unique” in their own way. Some of these facts almost seem impossible, like a cockroach being able to live without their head for an entire WEEK! We won’t spoil many more, just take a look for yourself and be prepared to be grossed out!
1. A COCKROACH CAN LIVE A WEEK WITHOUT IT’S HEAD.
This fact was our teaser earlier. The only reason a roach eventually dies is because of not being able to eat or drink. The beheading doesn’t end up killing them, it’s dying of thirst that kills them! Who knew?
2. AN ADULT FEMALE MITE CAN LIVE UP TO A MONTH ON A PERSON.
Mites aren’t necessarily “pests”. They are EVERYWHERE. Just in your bed alone, there can be anywhere from 100,000 to 10 MILLION mites. This fact may make your skin crawl, but no worries; mites are completely harmless.
3. KILLER BEES HAVE BEEN REPORTED TO CHASE PEOPLE FOR OVER A QUARTER OF A MILE.
Did you also know that bees can remember faces? No wonder that bee you swatted at last week keeps buzzing at you. It’s because he remembers you!
4. BOTFLIES ARE AN INSECT THAT ENTER YOUR BODY THROUGH MOSQUITO BITES AND LIVE UNDER YOUR SKIN, USUALLY REQUIRING SURGERY TO REMOVE.
Lucky for you, botflies are not a common pest in the United States. Should you get infected with one, it’s important to go to a hospital immediately; don’t call your local pest control company!
5. COCKROACHES ACTUALLY EAT HUMAN SKIN. THEY’VE BEEN KNOWN TO FEED ON TOENAILS, EYELASHES, EYEBROWS, AND HAIR.
We knew this one would give you the creepy-crawlies!
6. MOSQUITOES KILL MORE PEOPLE THAN ALL OTHER CREATURES ON EARTH COMBINED. THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE NUMEROUS DISEASES THEY CARRY, LIKE MALARIA, DENGUE FEVER, AND YELLOW FEVER (JUST TO NAME A FEW).
7. NEARLY EVERY TIME A HOUSEFLY LANDS, IT DEFECATES OR REGURGITATES.
We wish we were making this one up. It’s always worth the money to invest in a good fly swatter!
8. MOSQUITOES DRINK ABOUT 1.6 MILLION GALLONS OF HUMAN BLOOD EVERY YEAR.
Did we mean to say vampires? No, we definitely meant mosquitoes!
9. ASIAN GIANT HORNETS DISSOLVE HUMAN FLESH WHEN THEY STING.
We think we would rather be chased by a killer bee for a quarter of a mile before getting stung by one of those!
10. A TARANTULA INJECTS ITS PREY WITH VENOM, PARALYSING IT, THEN THE ENZYMES WITHIN BREAK DOWN THE BODY OF THE PREY AND TURN IT INTO LIQUID.
This one is just a great spooky fact to stop on. Tarantulas aren’t very harmful to humans, but we can’t speak for the prey that finds itself as dinner!
There you have it! We hope these 10 spooky facts made your skin crawl for this Halloween season!