HOW TO PREVENT FALL PESTS
Fall is one of the busiest seasons in the pest control industry. Some pests, like fleas and mosquitoes, last through the summer but slowly die off once the colder weather hits. Other pests, like rats and roaches, ramp up their activity in search for food and shelter from the colder weather. This means they’re looking for ways to get into your warm, cozy house without you knowing until it’s too late!
Fall should be a fun time of fire pits, football games, fall festivals, and other fun activities with friends and family. It should NOT be a time to stress about a pest infestation that could’ve been prevented. At Nova Pest, we don’t want you to have to call us because you’ve found an infestation. We want to help you take preventative measures to keep pests out during this fall season and save you lots of stress so you can focus on what matters most: FAMILY.
Let’s take a look at some of the most common fall pests and learn how to keep them OUT and keep your home SAFE.
Unfortunately, these pests are a year-round pest. Summer, spring, winter, fall…you can bet these pests will always try to find a way into your home. While roaches can seem like the never-ending pest, a roach infestation is also very easy to prevent when you know what measures to take.
- Keep a clean home. Vacuum often.
- Schedule a pest control professional to inspect the home and find ways roaches may be getting into the house.
- Keep the kitchen especially clean, sweeping and wiping counter tops for crumbs and/or food residue.
- Keep piles of debris in the yard to a minimum and away from the house.
The problem with ants is that you don’t usually see just one of them, you see hundreds of them. They’re especially tricky to keep out because of their small size. Ants love to find the sugary foods and standing water in your home once they’ve broken in. You can follow some of these steps to help keep ants out and keep your home from infestation:
- Never leave food sitting out. Double check to make sure all crumbs and food residue are swept/wiped up.
- Clean up any standing water and check often for leaks that could cause puddles of water.
- Keep firewood away from the home and keep yard debris to a minimum.
Mice do not do well in cold weather. If they can find their way into a warmer environment (i.e. your home), you can bet that they will find a crack or crevice to squeeze through and introduce themselves to your family. Don’t let them feel like a house guest, contact a pest control professional IMMEDIATELY if you begin seeing these pests around the home. If you’re still mice-free and want to keep it that way, follow these steps to keep your home safe:
- Like ants, don’t leave food sitting out. Always keep your kitchen clean and free of crumbs.
- Schedule a pest control professional to inspect the home and do entry point prevention to keep pests out
- Keep clutter to a minimum, both indoors and outdoors.
This list definitely does not cover all of the pests that become more active in the fall. If you find yourself with a pest problem, feel free to give us a call! (210) 714-0404