Welcome to Nova Pest Control’s informative blog post about squirrels in Texas. As a resident of San Antonio, TX, you may have encountered these agile and curious creatures in your neighborhood or even inside your home. In this article, we will explore the common squirrel species found in Texas, their behaviors, the potential risks they pose, and effective squirrel control strategies. By the end, you’ll have a better understanding of Texas squirrels and how Nova Pest Control can help you resolve any squirrel-related issues. Let’s jump right in!
- Common Squirrel Species in Texas: Texas is home to several squirrel species, with the most commonly encountered ones being:
- Eastern Gray Squirrel: These medium-sized squirrels have gray fur and are known for their ability to adapt to various environments.
- Fox Squirrel: Larger in size, with a reddish-brown coat, fox squirrels are typically found in woodland areas and open spaces.
- Rock Squirrel: Also known as the Texas antelope squirrel, these small, diurnal squirrels are found in arid regions of West Texas.
- Squirrel Behaviors and Habits: Understanding squirrel behaviors can help you better coexist with them and address any issues that may arise:
- Nesting habits: Squirrels build nests, called dreys, in trees, attics, or other elevated spaces to raise their young and seek shelter.
- Food sources: Squirrels are omnivores and feed on a variety of foods, including nuts, seeds, fruits, and even bird eggs.
- Hoarding behavior: Squirrels are known to store food for future use, often burying nuts and seeds in various locations throughout their territory.
- Potential Risks Associated with Squirrels: While squirrels are generally harmless and provide entertainment with their acrobatic antics, they can sometimes become a nuisance or pose risks:
- Property damage: Squirrels can chew through electrical wires, wooden structures, and insulation, potentially causing fires, water damage, and structural issues.
- Garden and bird feeder interference: Squirrels may raid bird feeders, steal bird eggs, or damage gardens by digging up plants or eating produce.
- Nesting in unwanted areas: Squirrels may find their way into attics, crawl spaces, or chimneys, causing noise, foul odors, and potential health hazards from their droppings.
- Effective Squirrel Control Strategies: Nova Pest Control offers professional squirrel control services to help you mitigate squirrel-related issues. Here are some strategies they employ:
- Inspection and assessment: Trained technicians will inspect your property to identify squirrel entry points, nesting areas, and potential attractants.
- Exclusion and sealing: Nova Pest Control can seal off access points, such as gaps, holes, or openings, to prevent squirrels from entering your home or building.
- Humane removal and relocation: If squirrels have already established nests in unwanted areas, Nova Pest Control can safely and humanely remove them and relocate them to suitable habitats.
- Habitat modification: By implementing deterrents, such as squirrel-proof bird feeders, trimming tree branches away from structures, and securing trash cans, you can discourage squirrels from becoming a nuisance.
- Follow-up and prevention: Nova Pest Control offers follow-up visits to ensure the effectiveness of control measures and can provide guidance on preventive actions to minimize future squirrel-related issues.
Conclusion: While squirrels can be entertaining to watch, they can sometimes become a nuisance or pose risks to your property. With the professional squirrel control services provided by Nova Pest Control, you can address squirrel-related issues effectively and safely. Contact Nova Pest Control today to ensure a squirrel-free environment and the peace of mind you deserve.